Monday, May 10, 2010

Part I - Portsmouth, Oh

I made it just south of Waverly, 34 of the 58 miles to Portsmouth, to White Lake.

It started out nice enough, cooler than expected, but sunny for the most part.

The winds were exactly what we expected unfortunately. Mostly annoying cross breezes in the beginning, the turned to head winds that occasionally make you feel like you hit a wall.

My brother-in-law Nick was my companion for a good deal of the ride, until just outside of Waverly.

I began to really struggle on the hills and preferred to ride them alone. I really hate feeling like I'm slowing others down, so he picked up his pace and stopped waiting at the top of the hills for me.

I turned on to 23 and bikes for a short mile or two with traffic, passing places my family had stopped on the way to or from my Grandma's.

I had just made the turn where 104 splits off when I remembered that I was in the home stretch for the first stop. Deciding to take a quick stop.

That's when it happened.

I pulled onto the gravel drive and forgot to unclip my sandal.

Yup, my first fall was witnessed not only by all of th traffic on 23, but radio support and an ambulance.

Well, at least I was in good company.

I waved them off with what I hope was a sheepish grin, caught my breath and continued on my way.

I hit the causeway that ran through the lake and was slammed with head/cross winds again. I knew that I was done, had hit my limit.

A quick turn off that bridge and I was in the first rest stop where Nick and his wife Ang were waiting.

"Where's the food?" were the first words out of my mouth.

They both pointed to the top of a hill and replied, "Up at the top of the stairs."

"Stairs? I can do stairs," were my famous last words.

The wonderful organizers had put the snack pavilion at the top of one last wicked hill. My legs burned before I even made it half way up.

Bananas, granola bars and orange wedges never tasted so good.

Nick took off to finish the last leg to Portsmouth and shortly thereafter Pete and his other brother Stephan came rolling in, having completed three legs of the 118 mile trip down.

We all hung together until they were rested enough to continue on.

I hopped into the car with Ang and drove to the day's finish line.

No comments: