Thursday, May 14, 2009

Really, so how cold is 65 degrees?

I received an email from the Pigman organizer the other day with some general information. This year's sprint event will host almost 900 people. That means there will be a lot of people swimming around (over) me as I will be in the first waves of swimmers to go in after the elite and relay team swimmers. Woo! Yay! Also noted is the fact that they're forecasting the water temperature to be about 65 degrees.

So, because I have a fondness for useless trivia, I wondered how long I would have to hang out in 65 degree water before hypothermia would set in. According to the Mayo Clinic, I have 2 to 7 hours before exhaustion or unconsciousness sets in.

As I am shooting for a swim time of around 20 minutes, it looks like I will be okay, though I'm certain I'll be exhausted after those 20 minutes.

Not to worry though!

I have a wet suit.

Yup, the one my husband had conveniently failed to mention to me so many years ago fit fairly well. It's a little loose around the waist, but it will most definitely work for the Pigman.

Learning to swim in it is another matter.

I took it for a spin last night.

It most certainly does help with buoyancy, almost to the other end of extreme. I still have a few weeks left to practice in it so I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

I ditched it in today's swim since it was still a little damp from last night's practice. I could have used the extra help as I managed to get 850 yards in today's workout.

Not too bad for someone who wanted to panic when her face was in the water 6 months ago.

It amazes me how far things have progressed in that short time frame. It also amazes me at how far I still need to go. I understand how people become addicted to the sport. I may be tired and I may want to skip training for the day, but if I can push through it, it's a great feeling. On days like last Saturday's mini-tri work out, it's exhilarating.

The quote at the bottom of the newsletter I received from my tri club read, "The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender."

I'm pretty sure that's true.

24 days until I prove that I've become a triathlete.

No comments: